10 Makeup Products for Fall
As you will see on the blog over the next few weeks, my very favorite season is quickly approaching, and I am more excited than ever to see fall return! The beauty of the autumn season is one of the reasons why I love it so. The hues of transformed leaves across the Kentucky hills and mountains really speak to me - some hues are bright and vibrant, but some are dull and muddied. It's a artistic symphony that no other season can replicate, the palette of colors that I love the best.
Anticipating and finally looking at the colors of fall is just not enough - I have to incorporate them into my everyday in any way that I can. And one of my favorite ways to express myself is through makeup!
Here's a list of products - both newly released and old favorites - that is screaming Autumn to me right now...
1. Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette , $42 - If you are familiar with the premier makeup industry even in the littlest bit, you will know - just by the menagerie of reviews available on YouTube and various blogs - that this is the most controversial palette that may have ever been made. Last year's ABH Modern Renaissance was a massive hit, and is my favorite eye shadow palette I have tried thus far since I've been really into makeup [and I have plenty of palettes, believe me]. Subculture - toted as the "sister" to the Modern Renaissance palette - seems to be a more powdery, albeit more purely pigmented, type of shadow than it's predecessor.
I actually just bought the Subculture palette this past weekend, and I'm not exactly sure what all the fuss is. Although the shadows are powdery, I don't find them any harder to apply, or are any more powdery than the Modern Renaissance eye shadows. It seems like it all comes down to how you apply the colors, but I'll let you read the reviews about that for yourself [you can find them everywhere online!]. My main love affair is with the color selection - it screams all things Fall, but without being just totally brown and orange shades throughout. The teal and plum colors are beautiful. I recommend this!
2. Becca Mineral Blush in Nightingale Deep Mulberry, $32 - Becca's highlighters are second to none, and their basic powder formula seems to flow throughout their product line, so it this seems like an amazing bet. Colors of wine and plum accentuate the many colors of Fall, and I can't help but be drawn to a darker, more sophisticated look on the cheeks. Nice packaging, too!
3. NYX Warm Neutrals Ultimate Shadow Palette, $17.99 - While I praise the diversity of color in the Subculture palette, let's be honest - we all could use a little bit more warmth in our lives! Especially if you are brown or dark green eyed, these varying shades of darker red, plum, and oranges would make your eyes POP. I own the small NYX Lingerie shadow palette, and I was recently extremely impressed at how nice they applied and wore throughout a long, humid Summer day. I assume, considering this has a 4.5 star rating on Ulta, that this palette has shadows that are just as great. It is affordable too, which is a plus!
4. Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Emerald, $22 - I will confess, I never wear anything other than black eyeliner. It's really the only thing that does that POP thing to my eyes I was just talking about. But how cool would it be to just whip out an emerald green liner on a dark eye?! I know, I should live a little. I think emerald is a great color for Fall. It's dark enough to be seasonally appropriate - but light enough to actually be seen on the eyes, and could pair very well with a neutral eye look. I always reach for the Stila Stay All Day waterproof eyeliner, it is truly the best formula I have ever used! It is liquid, but super easy to apply. This is a definite "must-try" on my list!
5. Urban Decay Naked Skin Shapeshifter Palette, $45 - I watched EmilyNoel83 review this on her channel [I love her!], and she seemed very excited about it, so then I got excited about it, and here we are! Like with the blush, I enjoy a more contoured, more chiseled appearance to the cheeks, nose, and around the perimeter of the face. This palette has everything you need! On one side is cream contours and a highlighter, and the other side is powders. Urban Decay has great powders, and although I don't play much with cream products, I would be willing to give it a go! This look like a great, "all in one" thing to rely on!
6. Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick in Out Loud, $24 - I saw my favorite youtuber, Thataylaa, wear this lipstick in this video. I wanted it from the second I laid eyes on it, so I bought it for my birthday! It's another color that made me think instantly of fall. These liquid lipsticks have excellent reviews, and they deserve it - the formula is not too drying, and the applicator is super precise. I was afraid the color might be "too loud", but it actually is very flattering! Out of all the products listed here, this is my favorite.
7. Nars Precision Lip Liner in Vence, $24 - I'm not really into lip liners. I have a few - mostly NYX - and I don't know why I don't use them more. They really help define your lips and makes your lip products last much, much longer. I thought this color would be great with some of the spicy brownish reds that are particularly flattering for the season. The description on Ulta describes this shade as a neutral cinnamon. Mmmmm. Cinnamon = fall!
8. Colourpop Ultra Satin Liquid Lipstick in Prim, $6 - More lip products! This one is much cheaper than the last two lip products mentioned, and just as wearable and loveable. I LOVE the ultra satin lipsticks from Coloupop, they are the best compromise between a halfway moisturized lipstick and a matte, non-transfer lip. Yes, they will transfer - but their overall staying power is long, and it wears off pretty evenly. Prim looks like the quintessential Autumn blackened-red shade that would pair amazingly with other Fall shades. So pretty!
9. Urban Decay The Velvetizer Translucent Mix In Medium, $34 - Besides the super cute packaging [it's velvet around the container!], I picked this one for this list because it makes things matte. I think matte finishes for the face are great for fall and winter, as opposed to the glow and dewy look of summer. The Velvetizer is a finely milled powder that can be mixed into foundations to mattify the product and enhance the coverage level. It is said to leave a velvety texture on the skin, hence the name. This would be great for existing foundations that have a great formula, but aren't preferred because they are too sheer or glowy [Too Faced Born This Way foundation comes to mind].
10. Wet N Wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder in Golden Flower Crown, $4.99 - Every time I think of gold, I always remember the Robert Frost poem, Nothing Gold Can Stay. It uses the metaphor of falling leaves to talk about life changes, and I have always enjoyed it. My favorite shades of the leaves in Autumn are bright gold. They are not usually very prevalent, but seem to really make an impact. Anyway, before I get too deep, let's just say this highlighter has great reviews [here's one by KathleenLights, a popular YouTube makeup guru], and I think it would make a great highlight option for a more Autumnal makeup look. And it's SUPER affordable!
There you have it! Does anything stand out to you? What's your favorite Fall makeup look/product? Let me know in the comments below, and let me know if you try anything out!